[Qgis-developer] Processing algs & plugins... should we actively pull into master?

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 02:35:02 PST 2017

> One thing I am concerned about is that we guarantee some stability in the
> behavior of processing. While it is true that strictly speaking new
> algorithms do not represent API extensions / additions, in some level I
> think they do since anyone using Python + Processing will be vulnerable to
> future behavioral changes / deletions from the set of tools shipped with
> processing. If we want to get plugin writers to rely on Processing rather
> than implementing geoprocessing etc.  functionality themselves, they need
> to know that a) the algorithms they need will be installed on their user's
> computers and b) that those algorithms will behave in a consistent way
> across the major release life cycle of QGIS.

I think we can have good control over that. Once the code is in the QGIS
repo and authors work on it there via PRs, we shouldnt allow them to modify
algorithm semantics or do any 'crazy' change. We have control over that. So
actually it is better to have it in core for that kind of integration,
since we, as QGIS project , will likely be more strict than a developer
working on his own repo, and take all this into account.