[Qgis-developer] Outline/border -> stroke?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 00:52:36 PST 2017

Hi all,

Following up on one of the points raised by John Hawkison (author of
the famous "my first weekend with QGIS" email), I'd like to raise
discussion about renaming all use of outline/border throughout QGIS to
"stroke".

I've been thinking about this and I'm personally in favour.

Why?
- the terms border, outline and pen are used inconsistently throughout
QGIS. Eg a polygon fill has an outline, a simple line has a pen.
- the API is even worse... these terms are thrown around with no
logical pattern. Even within single classes we mix and match
- stroke is a good replacement for all these terms. It's also commonly
used by most design software instead of border or outline.

Any opinions here? Any objections if I made this change?

Nyall