[Qgis-developer] Improving QGIS integration in cartographic workfows

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Feb 16 23:50:51 PST 2017

> Unfortunately this is quite involved. At the moment QGIS is highly
> tied into Qt's painter and printer framework. It's going to be very
> difficult to change this and make a change like using another library
> for exports. I think the most feasible approach would be to get the
> changes we require implemented upstream in Qt itself. It's likely less
> work, and also benefits other Qt projects too.

The GDAL PDF writer creates PDF "at hand" and is able to create layered PDFs :
http://gdal.org/frmt_pdf.html
Currently one raster layer, one "annotation" layer for legend, and several vector layers,
mostly due to the API constraints of the GDAL API.
I'm not sure how feasible it would be (would require at least renumbering PDF objects and
merging drawing instructions), but potentially you could render several layers into
separate PDFs and then merge the PDFs into a single layered one

Even

http://www.spatialys.com