[Qgis-developer] Future of standalone browser?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sun Feb 19 20:51:49 PST 2017

Hi

8<------------snip-------------

> So what should we do with the standalone browser in 3.0 and future? is
> there a future here, or should we just drop this functionality and
> save ourselves the maintenance burden? And if there IS interest in
> keeping the browser around, is anyone able to step up and sponsor some
> investment into making browser more useful and polished?

My (perhaps unpopular) point of view is that we should get rid of it:

* It is a regular source of confusion in training courses where people end up starting the browser instead of QGIS
* QGIS starts quickly enough that it is fairly trivial to use QGIS itself to have a quick preview of a dataset
* Whilst I regularly use the browser in QGIS itself, I have never had need to use it in standalone mode
* It's more stuff to maintain

I'd be far more interested in a QGIS browser based dialog that can be used as the basis for a unified 'add layer' dialog than the standalone version.

Maybe it would be good to hear from folks who have a good use case for keeping it to see what we are missing here....

Regards

Tim

> Nyall

—