[Qgis-developer] QGIS and ArcGIS in UK Government

Richard Burkmar rich.burkmar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 01:55:30 PST 2017

It's not a detailed comparison but this short blog post, published
yesterday, from a couple of Defra employees (UK Government Department for
Environment, Food & Rural Affairs) indicates that Defra recognises the
value in using and supporting both QGIS and ArcGIS side by side.

https://defradigital.blog.gov.uk/2017/02/20/the-right-gis-tool-for-the-job/

The really interesting revelation for me was that Defra is now officially
supporting QGIS. Not so long ago I supported a Defra employee with QGIS and
he had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get it installed on his work
machine.

Budgets in UK government are tighter than ever, and tighter than most at
Defra. I can only see this journey continuing in one direction.

Rich