[Qgis-developer] Dropping the "render" checkbox

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Feb 28 01:42:01 PST 2017

Hi

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah that's one of the things I wanted to improve within MTR, but
> didn't get to it yet - it would definitely make the render flag less
> interesting. And the same thing could be done also for labeling - only
> switch to the newly computed labeling when it is finished.
>
> As Nyall said in the first mail, if you need to use the render flag,
> then there is some problem with rendering - so knowing cases when
> people still use it is very useful as we can make QGIS behave nicely
> without the need for render checkbox! So please keep posting your use
> cases :-)

​
One reason to keep it: For us the use case has often been when you are
doing first set up of a project and you are dropping a bunch of large
layers yet. You want to set up scale dependent visibility and rules first
without waiting for time consuming renders, then enable rendering when
everything is added. I know we can also use the option to make layers not
visible when they are first added to the canvas so I reckon that use case
can be worked around easily enough,

One reason to remove it: I have often done training courses where a user
has randomly unchecked that and they can't figure out why nothing draws. In
a training room that is easy to fix. In 'the wild' I bet it is a source of
big frustration....

We could also have a behaviour like holding shift down when adding a layer
to the canvas makes the layer visibility turn off in the legend....though
it probably still won't help Denis' use case.....

Regards

Tim

> Cheers
> Martin