[Qgis-developer] Dropping the "render" checkbox

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Feb 28 03:49:21 PST 2017

Hi

> On 28 Feb 2017, at 12:00 PM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim
>
> On 02/28/2017 10:42 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> One reason to keep it: For us the use case has often been when you are
>> doing first set up of a project and you are dropping a bunch of large
>> layers yet. You want to set up scale dependent visibility and rules
>> first without waiting for time consuming renders, then enable rendering
>> when everything is added. I know we can also use the option to make
>> layers not visible when they are first added to the canvas so I reckon
>> that use case can be worked around easily enough.
>
> Sorry if I'm missing something, but why is it important that in this
> case nothing is rendered? I imagine you can just configure scale
> dependent rendering, while ignoring that something is rendered in the
> background. And once you apply the changed config, rendering will
> restart with the same net-time and net-result (but less clicks).

Hmm probably not so important if it is rendering nicely in a side thread and esc cancels rendering efficiently. Anyway it seems that others like Giovanni and Denis are quite invested in the feature so probably it is more useful to understand their needs as I could easily see it go and not be too worried...

Regards

Tim

> Matthias

—