[Qgis-developer] Z or M styling in QGIS

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 08:48:12 PST 2017

Hi folks,
I wish you all a happy new year and best wishes for a winning QGIS3 release!

While working with Z value improvements in QGIS (see [0] ), It became clear
that we have some room for 3D - 4D styling.

I already have gathered some existing solutions for that:

- Use Matplotlib / plotly external tools to display true 3 D objects even if
those tools are more "plot" oriented.
- Add a panel for vertical cuts like Profile tools and others (we have one
using D3js somewhere, another using a true mapcanvas). This gives a true Z
value.
- couple QGIS with a browser - like horao for true 3D
http://oslandia.github.io/horao/

I was wondering if a complementary solution could be to improve expression
generator with some iterators that could loop on vertices and generate
geometries (so iterators and aggregators such as SQL generate_series /
aggregate or window function).
We could then imagine to extend current 2.5 D generator to lines, display
roof steepness, projects depths with dashed lines and so on.
Does that sound like a feasible solution? Again, this will point out a point
around advanced SQL engine vs qgis specific expressions but whatever the
technical option, I think this could be quite nice.

Does that ring any bell to someone working on something similar?

All the best!

[0]
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/3905/commits/d2f41ac9024d222ab97db629b237c9bb31e6d2a1

-----