[Qgis-developer] When to start converting our plugins?

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jan 5 23:21:19 PST 2017

Hi,

Jürgen is the release manager and ultimately proposes/decides when to
release 3.0. So I don't know what his opinion is.

My personal opinion is in line with Nyall. Core devs should have enough
time to properly prepare everything and do at least the API
changes/redesign/refactoring properly. After 3.0 there won't be API
breaks for a longer time, so it is better to have enough time to do
things properly.

A double dev cycle, followed by a double test cycle (testing and bug
fixing) would be useful. If we stick with the four month release cycle
with a double dev cycle this could mean a feature freeze somewhere
around May and a release after a two month test/bug fixing period
somewhere around July. Just a very rough idea, and not discussed with
the core devs and Jürgen ...

Thoughts?

Andreas