[Qgis-developer] Will Processing in QGIS 3 support parallelization?

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Fri Jan 6 02:54:56 PST 2017

Hi Nyall,

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 12:11 AM, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 3 January 2017 at 18:19, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:
> > I'm currently writing a script that could benefit a lot from
> > parallelization. Will Processing in QGIS 3 provide parallelization
> support?
> > Or is it better to look into how to achieve parallelization independent
> of
> > Processing, e.g. using Python's multiprocessing library?
>
> Depends what you're after. When processing is ported to the new task
> manager framework then algorithms will be able to run in parallel
> (where possible). Eg a buffer for one layer can run while a transform
> occurs on another layer.
>
> If you're after parallelization *within* a single algorithm (Eg
> buffering features using multiple threads) then I'm unaware of any
> plans in place to handle this.

​Yes, definitely within a single algorithm.

Feature-by-feature parallelization would certainly be helpful for many
algorithms.

For my current use case, I'd like to process groups of features (identified
by common attribute value) in parallel ... but that's probably more complex
and less common.

Best wishes,
Anita​