[Qgis-developer] QGIS menu item

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 00:09:38 PST 2017

On 10 January 2017 at 13:11, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I would like to propose a new QGIS menu item that in the menu before the Project item.  This menu item will contain all the stuff in the Settings Menu, Exit QGIS, and some of the stuff from the Help menu like About
>
> Motivation:  A lot of application have a "Application" menu with application-wide settings, etc . I think this would make it clear that anything in this menu is related to the application itself and not the project.  Having a Settings menu just floating in the middle of the menu bar seems strange to me now.

> Thoughts?

My 2c:

It seems odd having project properties outside the project menu. I
also find the positioning of this a bit unusual. I'd suggest that the
QGIS menu should appear last, so that we keep to the standard
convention of having the "file" type (project) menu first. I'd also
suggest that Exit QGIS should remain in the project menu so that it
keeps the convention of exit being the last item in the first menu.

On a related note - I'd love to see us add a way for plugins to add
pages to the general QGIS options so that we can avoid menus being
cluttered with additional "settings" items. Eg processing options and
the python console options should just be extra pages in the main
options dialog.

Nyall