[Qgis-developer] Status of QGIS3

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jan 26 12:04:20 PST 2017

Hi Paolo, Hi all,

We just had the annual Swiss QGIS user group meeting yesterday.
Obviously we had to tell our users a little bit about what is already
finished, what is currently being worked on and what still has to be
worked on. So I had to compile a list:

What is already done:

  * Migration to qt5 and Python 3
  * Python plugin update helper 2 to 3
  * Inheritable flexible properties framework (QEP 22)
  * Inbuilt task manager in QGIS for long running background tasks

What is currently being worked on:

  * QGIS 3 Windows packages (Jürgen)
  * Layer registry and legend tree refactoring (Martin) (QEP 76)
  * QGIS Server refactoring (devs from 3Liz, Alessandro,
    Oslandia/Camptocamp?) (QEP 74)
  * Multiple canvas within a single project (Alvarao and Nyall) (QEP 70)
  * Application Profiles and Unified Settings (Nathan) (QEP 50)
  * Generic Helping System for QGIS (Richard) (QEP 32)
  * Improved Node Tool (Martin) (QEP 69)

What still needs to be worked on:

  * Print composer refactoring (QEP 23) (Nyall)
  * Reporting mode for print composer (Nyall)
  * Porting core of Processing to C++ (Nyall)
  * Redesign of GUI of fields/widgets/forms (QEP 21) (Matthias)
  * Improving the loading/display performance for complex forms with
    lots of relations (Matthias)
  * Rename compositions to layouts (QEP 25) (Nyall)
  * Project backup and versioning (Nathan)
  * More unit tests (QEP 17, QEP 24) (all devs)
  * Documentation of API changes (all devs)
  * Finishing registration of QGIS legal entity, logo, etc. (QGIS board
    and PSC)
  * Visual changelog (all)

I probably missed a lot of stuff in the above lists, and it is my own
point of view, but it may help for a dicussion around the current state
of QGIS 3.

 From the above list it is obvious that we can't feature-freeze soon
(with a single three-month dev cycle) and that we need the double dev
cycle we already discussed. One realistic feature freeze time could be
somewhere in May, and a possible release date could be around July. But
obviously it is Jürgen who decides. He may have different ideas.

Some good news:

The Swiss QGIS user group decided yesterday to fund a few of the above
"what still needs to be worked on" list:

  * Print composer refactoring (Nyall)
  * Porting core of Processing to C++ (Nyall)
  * Redesign of GUI of fields/widgets/forms (Matthias)
  * Improving the loading/display performance for complex forms with
    lots of relations (Matthias)

Further print composer work and work on the new reporting mode still
needs funding. Probably also processing work could use some love and
funding, esp. once the porting of Processing core to C++ is finished.

Hope all of this helps a bit to get a picture where we are. Please help
complement the picture!

Finally, I propose that we very soon do another round of QGIS grants. We
are doing quite well financially (the call for funding helped) and can
now afford to spend another 20k € on more grant projects.

Andreas