[QGIS-Developer] QGIS/OGR: FeatureIds reassigned on write to data provider?

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 16:10:56 PDT 2017

A common workflow that leads to this situation is when working on
shapefiles and then using them in a processing algorithm that involves an
external process. The processing situation could be avoided (detect if
potentially dangerous operations like a delete have been performed since
the last repack and if yes repack or write it to a new file), but there
were also other situations where people just have been working on the same
file in different GIS applications side-by-side.

This raises the question.  Should we support that?  A lot of file types are
just not meant to be opened by many applications at the same, e.g MapInfo
wants a full exclusive read/write lock on tab files.  My gut has always
been if it's file based you shouldn't be using it in other applications at
the same time.

- Nathan