[QGIS-Developer] Processing Help documentation big changes

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 00:44:00 PDT 2017

Hi all,

as you now the grant proposal here [0] aims to change the algorithm help
system for Processing.

While Alex Bruy already did a great job with the new QgsHelp() system
and the UI of Processing I would like to raise up some ideas just on the
documentation.

The layout of the documentation is a little bit ugly to see with a lot
of blank spaces around and long pages. So this are a few ideas that I
would like to implement:

* every algorithm will have an unique anchor (provider_algName, like
qgis_import_into_spatialite) that will speed up some cross references

* get rid of the Description title and put the description right after
the algorithm name

* if needed, another section called *Example* will be added with some
explaining example and pictures

* right now the parameters are set up in a list that is not super
friendly. I would avoid like hell rst tables (I got a a lot of trouble
when using that in other works, especially with the latexpdf output and
tables have a really hard layout), so.. any other ideas?

* leave the *Output* section even if the algorithm won't return any
output: I think for the user is better to read "no output created
because....." than not finding the section at all

* leave processing console usage with the default string
(processing.run(.......)) and occasionally add also other code snippet
when useful

Ok, that's it.. sorry for the long email.

Hoping to have some feedbacks!

Thanks to all

Matteo

[0] http://blog.qgis.org/2017/04/30/qgis-grant-programme-2-results/