[QGIS-Developer] Value entry using comma as decimal separator?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 16:11:49 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Following on from this conversation:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2017-July/049227.html

it seems we have issues in the qt5 builds under locales which use
commas as decimal separators. Under these locales entering a value
like "5,5"  in a spin box (such as those used in the symbol layer
properties) , then moving focus away from the widget, will discard the
changes.

I know *nothing* about what's the expected behavior here, but a quick
google search leads me to believe that most software follow QGIS'
approach and require users to always use ".", regardless of the locale
(e.g. [1]). Is this correct?

It's a trivial change to make to get the spin boxes to accept the
local decimal separator, but this would prevent users entering "5.5"
in those locales.

Can someone from one of these affected regions let me know what the
correct behavior should be? I don't want to make the change if it
breaks entry of 5.5 and that's the standard used in those locales.

Nyall

1. https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/74369/is-a-decimal-comma-used-in-data-entry