[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3.0 beta

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Sat Jul 8 01:13:44 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Not too far away we will enter feature freeze for QGIS 3.0 and will be
trying to polish the next release as much as possible.

During this time, a lot of testing will need to be done in order to be
able to best spend the bugfixing time. There are a handful of people who
regularly test nightlies and report bugs (thanks!).

I wonder if it's possible to attract more testers for the next release
by providing a "beta".

I think releasing a version labelled "beta" at the beginning of the
feature freeze (and another one half way through) will make more people
aware of the upcoming release. This can lead to additional important
testing from audience which otherwise would only "test" the final
release (with a lower acceptance of bugs). Besides that, I think it will
also be a good signal for devs to start porting plugin code and a very
good preparation for end users marketing-wise.

It will be best served with a blog post explaining how critical the
bugfixing phase is for a release and how resources for this are allocated.

It's just an idea I had in mind for some time. Does anyone dislike it?

Thanks
Matthias