[QGIS-Developer] Incremental drawing possible?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 20:44:36 PDT 2017

On 11 July 2017 at 13:17, John Abraham <jea at hbaspecto.com> wrote:
> Ok, I overlooked a few features, thanks Nathan for pointing out the refresh
> rate!
>
> I rely on web based tile or WMS backgrounds (OpenStreetMap, NRCan Geogratis,
> etc.).  CityPhi fills in the background as the tiles show up.  QGIS seems to
> need to draw the entire background in it's head, then displays it all at
> once, before it can use the cool multithreaded features on the vectors.  Or
> is there another checkbox for "draw my background as it arrives from the
> tile service, but don't wait around for it to respond"?

How are you adding your web based tile layers?

Since QGIS 2.18 you can add them as "XYZ" tile sources (see
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog218/index.html#feature-native-support-of-xyz-tile-layers).

If you do this they'll be super-smooth, with tiles being rendered
instantly as they download.

Nyall