[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-developer] Adding default OSM backround maps

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 11:19:51 PDT 2017

Coming back to the original thread, Petr just made an interesting
proposal [1], asking why no integrate into QGIS a vector global
basemap?

He is also offering ready made vector tiles data (MBTiles) which we
(QGIS) could host ourselves.

The styling would be done in QGIS.

He's also referring to the "Vector Tiles Reader" Python plugin I'm
supervising [2]. This astonishing experimental piece of software and
will get a last update before final release. This most probably
inlcudes "loading/flushing tiles" much like raster tiles (this is in
"base map" mode of the plugin. There exist two other modes: Analysis
and Inspection).

As Petr wrote, the "base map" mode of this Vector Tiles Reader should
actually be migrated to a C++ plugin in order to become really fast.
Unfortunately I don't have the resources in short terms to accomplish
that.

Yours, Stefan

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/94#issuecomment-316130831
[2] https://github.com/geometalab/Vector-Tiles-Reader-QGIS-Plugin