[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-developer] Adding default OSM backround maps

Stéphane Henriod stephanebek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 02:57:22 PDT 2017

Hi all

jumping (a bit late) on this...

I realize that this would be much heavier and much more expensive to
implement but what about developing a "QGIS style" for OSM-based tiles
(that could, e.g., be hosted on QGIS.org)? That would take care of 3 issues:

   - "Quality of the cartography": if we are not 100% happy with the
   default OSM style as a background map, we could come up with a more
   appropriate style
   - "Quality of the service":  there is a risk that OSMF once shuts down
   the service because we generate too much traffic. If "we" host the tiles
   ourselves, the risks and associated decisions remain in "our" hands
   - "Frequency of updates": same, if it lies in "our" hands, we can define
   ourselves what frequency would be appropriate

I assume that developing a new style is not a huge task (there are probably
enough people around with the necessary skills) and could be achieved
either with a "small" budget or with sufficient participation of the
community. But the long-term maintenance and hosting / serving of the tiles
is probably an issue of a different magnitude...

Would that idea be worth exploring further? Or do you think it is
completely not realistic ?

Thanks and cheers
Stéphane

Le lundi 1 mai 2017, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> a écrit :

> Il 30/04/2017 19:28, Jorge Gustavo Rocha ha scritto:
>
> > I did a PR [1], very simple. This discussion is now about the best
> > approach to handle all settings, in all platforms. I'm working on that.
>
> FYI, summarized here:
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/16493
> Please add what is missing.
> Thanks.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=IT&q=qgis,arcgis

“When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make
you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable." --
Clifton Fadiman