[QGIS-Developer] discover python executable in use

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 15:18:57 PDT 2017

I think I am starting to understand bit better what is happening. Since
qgis (probably) completely embeds the python interpreter, eg. links to
libpython, the value of sys.executable does not really map to this
situation. Apparently, the interpretation differs depending on the platform.

So if I want to start a detached python process, it is not unreasonable to
have to look around for the python executable although it would be great if
there is some worked out cross-platform approach.

A pseudo-code strategy (for 2.18) could be:

on linux, use sys.executable but if sys.version is 3, warn and guess
dir(sys.executable)/python2 (check that the file exists). Actually, it
should be fine to just always use dir(sys.executable)/python2 .
on windows (sys.platform.startswith('win')), use
dir(sys.executable)/python-qgis.bat

This appears to work well enough but I suspect there are better approaches ?

Sort of similarly, killing a detached QProcess seems to require platform
specific code as well. os.kill works for linux but windows seems to require
its own system executed 'taskkill /pid'.

If this all seems to be completely off, any suggestions or ideas are
gratefully received,

Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch