[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 3: feedback on Save As Image / PDF

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jun 8 06:24:21 PDT 2017

Hi,

The new Save as Image / PDF function in the project menu in QGIS 3 is
very useful! Thanks for developing it!

I have, however, a suggestion for improvement: it would be very useful
if the user could interactively select an extent in the map canvas. I
believe such an extent picker widget already exists in the QGIS code
base. I think it is used in the various places where users have to
select an extent, e.g. in the gdal raster clipper tool.

And even more useful would it be if such an interactive selection could
be restricted to a certain width / height ratio.

Use case: you want to copy map extents for a presentation. You know that
you export for a 4:3 ratio or 16:9 ratio. Wouldn't it be handy if you
could interactively choose your extent and restrict it to that ratio? It
would save us from the extra step, that I would have to open it in
Gimp/Photoshop and select the extent in there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andreas