[QGIS-Developer] [otb-developers] qgis-otb-plugin repository moved to OTB's github

Alexander Bruy alexander.bruy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 01:24:35 PDT 2017

Hi Rashad,

let's move this discussion to QGIS dev list.

> With new improvements in OTB plugin there is no need to update stuff for
> each release. It work same like GRASS GIS.
> the descriptor files will be generated depending on user's OTB version. IT
> will not be inside algs/otb/descriptor/

Seems there is a misunderstanding here. Description files is a pure-Processing
thing, GRASS does not ship any description files, they were created by
Processing
devs and users and updated when necessary.

As I understand, your idea is to move description files to the OTB disctribution
and have some settings in the Processing to point to these description files.
Right?

> BTW, When you said adding new functionality and/or bugfixing will be
> problematic, you mean issues in OTB or the plugin?

I was talking about OTB plugin. For example, if you may found and fix a bug
in the plugin or implemented new feature to support new OTB functionality.
If plugin integrated into QGIS you will be tied to QGIS release cycle.

> The way I see otb plugin is a part of processing plugin and it expect data
> (descriptor file) in a specific format from OTB.
> The correct job of otb is give those data so that processing can use it.
>
> Like GRASS and others, it reads a list of descriptor file and these will be
> provided by OTB not QGIS. When user install a new otb version, descriptor is
> automatically changed with it!
> I hope that takes all the maintenance troubles from QGIS side.
>
> Finally, if we were able to remove the descriptor folder and gives a plugin
> code (OTBAlgorithm, OTBAlgorithmProvider, OTBUtils)
> which allows users to use any version of OTB package, that will be
> acceptable right?
>
> And OTB devs will be able to test OTB for compatibility with QGIS.

> Do you know about next QGIS release date and version?

Next QGIS version will be 3.0 and according to the current roadmap [0]
it is expected in the end of September

[0] http://qgis.osgeo.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/roadmap.html

--
Alexander Bruy