[QGIS-Developer] Geodesic Measure Tool With Bearing Information

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 09:30:20 PDT 2017

Several weeks ago I had proposed a geodesic measure tool that also includes
the bearing from point A to B and bearing from B to A. Nyall suggested that
this capability be added to the QGIS measure tool. The question is would
you want this with the QGIS measure tool or should it be a separate plugin?
The changes would be as follows:

1. Where the current measure tool has 'Segments' there would be two more
columns with 'Bearing to' and 'Bearing from'.

2. I would like to see a check box or selection widget of some sort that
chooses between using Geodesic math or the current method of calculating
the distances which I am still unsure on how it is doing its calculations.

Right now it could use the Vincinty algorithms in QGIS to calculate the
distances, but eventually I would like to see the geographiclib algorithms
used.

If this is of interest then I will attempt to get a QGIS development
environment running to help make the changes to the core measure tool;
otherwise, I will just create a plugin to do this. If I create a plugin I
will use the geographiclib python library to do the calculations.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Calvin