[QGIS-Developer] QGIS project XSD

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 01:35:34 PDT 2017

Hi everybody,
I know this has been discussed in the past, and maybe I missed more recent
discussions, but I think this is a point that should be considered.

Working a lot with QGIS projects parsing and processing, we have to rely on
trials and errors to validate a QGIS project and create test projects on
every QGIS release to verify our paresers to be aligned with each version.

I see that a very old (15 years) Qgis.xsd is still in the QGIS sources [1].

First of all I would get rid of it, being outdated and (I guess) unused.
Then I would remove the DOCTYPE declaration from the project XML and use a
Schema declaration instead, pointing to a versioned XSD.

XSDs could have their own versioning scheme, or keep it simple and let XSD
versions be strictly the same as QGIS's version (reported inside the
project file).

What's your opinion on this?
Giovanni

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/Qgis.xsd