[QGIS-Developer] QGIS project XSD

Matthias Kuhn 🌍 matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Jun 30 02:44:17 PDT 2017

On 06/30/2017 11:32 AM, G. Allegri wrote:
>     Normally you start with a schema, and from that create xml. To me it
>     sounds pretty hard to keep a schema updated the other way around? As the
>     api can always add new/changed parts of xml in it?
>

> Even QgsProject won't know if a project is valid until all the delegated
> classes have tried to deserialize their own parts.

Are you aware of real-world problems that were caused by this?

> I think this is a weak point in QGIS, and it doesn't depend on the
> serialization format obviously.

I think it's only XML that comes with all these metadescription systems
like DTD and XSD. I haven't seen anything similar for yaml and json.

They normally just have a descriptive API doc if intended to be
handwritten or not much at all if machine-written / machine-read.

I think the main upside of XSD etc. is if it's intended to be an
interoperable standard (.sld et al) where a consortium first defines the
format and then implementations follow. The tradeoff is that development
takes much more time and innovation is decreased.

Matthias