[Qgis-developer] Changing behaviour of "show selected features" mode for attribute table

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Mar 6 23:23:54 PST 2017

On 07-03-17 08:08, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 07/03/2017 05:28, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
>
>> Does anyone object to this change landing for 3.0 and 2.18?
>
> Of course it's a +1 from me.
> I wonder if it would be good to also:
> * set "show selected features" on by default
> * add a warning "no elemenent selected, please do a selection" or
> similar, to avoid the user to think the table is empty.

I'm in favour of this too, just because untill now, the behaviour worked
on small data, but as soon as you work with larger datasets it was bad...

BUT, it should be intuitive for users... people are used to see always a
filled table behaviour...

What about adding a msg+button after opening an empty table:
"Nothing selected so nothing shown" and a dropdown or button: "select
ALL" and "select ALL in current extent"

Setting 'show selected features' on by default...mmm as as it warns me
or is easily stoppable when I load the table for my 12,000,000
postgistable.
I would say: not on by default, but the state saved in the project
configuration, so as soon as user A has selected it for his project with
small tables... keep it like this for a project. For User R which works
with larger datasets, it just works :-)

Regards,

Richard