[Qgis-developer] 3.0 Documentation and branching

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 02:06:05 PST 2017

Hi,

> I think a better solution is to hook into the current
> [FEATURE]/[NEEDS-DOCS] hooks which auto-open issues on the
> documentation repo. We could *require* that all developers who push a
> new feature commit have to post on the corresponding documentation
> auto-opened issue with at least very rough notes about how the feature
> is supposed to work. The documentation team could then polish these
> up, add screenshots, etc (and merge when the timing is right for the
> team). This would also keep things as easy as possible for devs so
> that they (*cough*... i mean me *cough*) have no excuse not to do it!
>
> You are right, Nyall.
However, I do not think that they later need to add information in the
auto-opened issue in Doc repository. By default the generated issue is
populated with all the information in the commit. So a really descriptive
commit to QGIS repository with those tags should be enough. There are some
very good (from a doc writer pov of course) commits where you only need to
find the right place in the doc and copy paste the description with minor
adjustments. Unfortunately, they are currently far from being the majority.
On the other side, there still are many with simply the title (which
sometimes can be helpful) or do use a dev language (too much cryptic?).

Also note that a verbose commit benefits to the Changelog team, when time
comes....

Harrissou

Nyall