[Qgis-developer] Future of spatialite provider?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Mar 13 17:06:01 PDT 2017

On mardi 14 mars 2017 09:38:10 CET Nyall Dawson wrote:
> > This thread was about the spatialite driver ;-) Support for spatial and
> > non-spatial layers has always existed in OGR core, but what is available
> > for a given format is driver specific.
>
> Even - I'm interested to hear your thoughts here. Do you think there's
> any good reason for a dedicated spatialite provider?

I've not necessarily all the functionalities of the spatialite provider in mind. I think some
specialized logic in the spatialite case (there's already some for GPKG) might be needed to be
ported into the OGR provider, so as to get feature parity. For example things like
QgsSpatiaLiteProvider::pkAttributeIndexes() or QgsSpatiaLiteProvider::discoverRelations()
(non exhaustive list)

There's the question of the provider UI and connection strings.

> The *only* reason I can see (would need to be tested) is that
> potentially there's a cost to the spatialite -> OGR -> QgsFeature
> translation, vs just spatialite -> QgsFeature. But my hunch is that
> this would be offset by optimisations present in the OGR driver which
> aren't in the QGIS provider.

In practice waiting for I/O to be completed is probably the major bottleneck.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com