[Qgis-developer] QgsGeometry, Geos and SFCGAL

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 17:04:26 PDT 2017

On 14 March 2017 at 19:35, Hugo Mercier <hugo.mercier at oslandia.com> wrote:

> - geometry conversion. We designed SFCGAL as yet another geometry
> backend, with its own data structure to handle geometry primitives.
> Converting back and forth between, say postgis internal format, and ours
> takes some time.
> The approach taken by boost::geometry where you can provide "adaptors"
> for a specific internal geometry representation is a very good one. We
> could imagine here SFCGAL as a set of algorithms (rather than a library
> with its own data structure) that have adaptors to postgis geometries,
> qgis geometries, etc.

Nice! That's exactly what makes boost::geometry so attractive in my
opinion. Fingers crossed someone steps up and funds this work.

> Just for information, Sandro Santilli implemented approximate medial
axis in SFCGAL

Hmm... this changes *everything*! I'm going to see if I can use this
as an argument to get some time from one of my existing contracts to
work on this. They have a strong need for the previously described
road generalisation algorithm, so maybe I can use this as a push to
get some time for this.

Nyall