[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-psc] bug tracker cleanup

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 03:02:44 PDT 2017

Hi All,

this thread didn't get the traction I was hooping for, is this a
indication that is a general opinion that all the fixing effort should
be focused on qgis3 and not also on the next LTR?

>> Speaking about the severe list you may have noticed that there are
>> issues that are known since a long ago, but there are also others that
>> are *pretty recent*, in fact there are a few regressions that have
>> slip into 2.18 since 2.14. Releasing now 2.18 as new LTR would mean
>> effectively releasing a worse QGIS compared to 2.14.
>
> thanks for spotting this.
>
>> I would like to understand if before the release of the next LTR there
>> will be scheduled bug fixing effort, as has been done for other
>> releases; and, if in this is the case, it will be a targeted one, in
>> order to give the priority to regressions that have appeared between
>> 2.14 and 2.18.
>
> it makes sense to me. how many do you think are important to fix?
> how many affect 2.18 only, not 3?

during my cleanup a couple of weeks ago I clearly separated the
regressions affecting only master/qgis3 and the ones only affecting
2.18.*. In the second case I tried to my best to also try clearly
separate the ones we know since more or less long time and the ones
that have appeared after 2.14.

The following list is a sample of important things (to me) that have
regressed in 2.18 since 2.14:

16242 QGIS 2.18.4 saves always with absolute paths
15961 Escaping out of Dialog causes QGIS to crash
15803 2.18: Move Selection to Top not working in attribute table
15976 Attribute table: rows are switching when adding attributes
16302 Quick calculation bar causes QGIS crash when updating fields with aliases
16186 Broken Processing/GRASS tools under Windows > this is a
packaging issue and not a Processing one
15868 Frequent errors in DB Manager: `pyqtSignal must be bound to a
QObject, not 'PGVectorTable'`
16295 DB Manager: error importing data into GPKG connections
16296 Cannot use anymore d&d to import a layer from Spatialite in PostGIS
16297 (macOS) layers imported into a Spatialite Database with DB
manager are not recognized as spatial tables
15741 PostGIS issue when using 'Merge selected features' tool
(Geometry type does not match column type) > this is very bad as
causes data loss
15974 Rows of the attribute table seem to be duplicated when saving
edits in a shapefile

>> Note: we should really do something to ask people to be more
>> disciplined when posting issues, making for example the category
>> mandatory and  somehow help choosing the correct priority > ex: if is
>> a regression then “severe”, if causes a crash then “high”, use normal
>> for all the other cases. We should also state/force the users to try
>> in a clean environment, with no 3rd party plugins before reporting.
>
> Agreed fully. IMHO https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#severities are
> a good reference.
>
>> Note2: I would really like to do a major cleanup of the tracker in Essen.
>
> Great, please tell if you need help, I'm available.

The developer meeting is in 1 month time. I would like to discuss
*now* a few cleanups so we don't have to do it in Essen and there I
can use my time to put them in action.

I assume that we are sticking with Redmine, correct? Here a list of
suggestions open for disccusion:

* the platform version is very old (2010), can we try upgrade it? If
someome provides me with a copy of the db I would give it a go on a
testbench
* remove all the projects others than "QGIS Application" from
http://hub.qgis.org/projects
* close all tickets that were last updated/commented more than... 2/3/4 years?

cheers!

-- G --