[Qgis-developer] QGIS X3D processing

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Mar 27 06:12:01 PDT 2017

Hi,

My knowledge is a bit limited - but from what I know the three
approaches are completely different:

* QGIS2threejs: uses WebGL. Goal is to publish a small scene to the web,
independent from QGIS. QGIS is only used to prepare the scene.
WebGLS/ThreeJS is quite a low-level technology compared to X3D

* X3D approach: more descriptive, human readable files. Similar to VRML
or SVG. Goal ist also publication of smaller scenes to the web. X3D
viewer may render either natively or through WebGL. X3D, compared to
WebGL/Threejs lowers the barrier for script or XML people to further
process the file after an export. The X3D concepts are easier to
understand than raw WebGL.

* qt53D: Based on OpenGL. could lead to a good integration into QGIS
core. Not meant to be published to the web.

Andreas

On 2017-03-27 14:49, Andreas Plesch wrote:

> Let me share a project for interactive 3d visualization of qgis content on the web using the geospatial component of the standardized X3D format. Code and examples are on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/andreasplesch/QGIS-X3D-Processing [1]
>
> This effort is similar to QGIS2Threejs but is just starting out and will use quite a different approach.
>
> On the user list Paolo mentioned plans to use native qt5 3d facilities for qgis3 as well (see below). Is there a repository or documentation to learn more about this ? For example, it may be beneficial to use webGL enabled webkit (perhaps in the processing results viewer).
>
> Any pointer or other feedback is very welcome,
>
> Andreas
>
> Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 08:15:36 +0200
> From: Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
> To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org, qgis-developer
> <qgis-developer at lists.osgeo.org>
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] QGIS X3D processing
>
> Il 27/03/2017 01:52, Andreas Plesch ha scritto:
>> Hi Paolo,
>>

>> Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 20:22:06 +0200
>> From: Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it
>> <mailto:cavallini at faunalia.it>>
>>
>> Il 26/03/2017 00:27, Andreas Plesch ha scritto:
>>> I would like to share a project for 3d visualization of Qgis
>> content by
>>> This effort is similar to QGIS2Threejs but is just starting out
>> and will
>>> use quite a different approach.
>>>
>>> Any comment, feedback or thought is welcome,
>>
>> Cool, thanks. AFAIK there are plans to use native Qt5 3D facilities,
>> have you had a look to this too?
>>

>> I looked into using qt webkit and found that qt5 webkit supports webgl
>> (and probably a modern js engine?). That would be very interesting as it
>> would be possible to rely just on webkit and perhaps have some tighter
>> integration with the Qgis gui.
>>
>> What would be a good place to learn more about QGIS3 plans to use native
>> Qt5 3d facilities ?
>
> Hi Andreas,
> I do not know much. You can probably have a look to the work of Minoru
> Akagi, who started some early development on this.
> However, I think some core devs may be interested in joining the discussion.
>
> --
> Andreas Plesch
> 39 Barbara Rd.
> Waltham, MA 02453