[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-psc] bug tracker cleanup

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Mar 30 13:50:23 PDT 2017

Hi

> On 28 Mar 2017, at 1:49 PM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi all
>

> On 3/28/17 8:38 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Hi Giovanni,
>>
>> Il 27/03/2017 12:02, Giovanni Manghi ha scritto:
>>
>>> this thread didn't get the traction I was hooping for, is this a
>>> indication that is a general opinion that all the fixing effort should
>>> be focused on qgis3 and not also on the next LTR?
>> agreed, I'm also surprised (the list seems less reactive on several
>> subjects lately), and thanks for your perseverance in tracking this
>> important issue.
>
> Would there be resources around to sponsor regular bugfixes instead of
> only the ones before normal releases?
> I think we should call on larger organizations to provide resources so
> this can be taken care of. After all it's for organizations that LTR exists.

Do you mean like a monthly effort to dedicate some funds for bug fixing? I'd certainly like to see us heading that way, and even better where QGIS.org hires full time bug fixers / developers to work only for the good of the general project and not to serve a specific client. Andreas can speak better to the ability to do anything right now - but I suspect we might need to wait till next year if we want to budget for more substantial (e.g. monthly) paid bug fixing rounds.

Regards

Tim

>>> during my cleanup a couple of weeks ago I clearly separated the
>>> regressions affecting only master/qgis3 and the ones only affecting
>>> 2.18.*. In the second case I tried to my best to also try clearly
>>> separate the ones we know since more or less long time and the ones
>>> that have appeared after 2.14.
>>>
>>> The following list is a sample of important things (to me) that have
>>> regressed in 2.18 since 2.14:
>>>
>>> 16242 QGIS 2.18.4 saves always with absolute paths
>>> 15961 Escaping out of Dialog causes QGIS to crash
>>> 15803 2.18: Move Selection to Top not working in attribute table
>>> 15976 Attribute table: rows are switching when adding attributes
>>> 16302 Quick calculation bar causes QGIS crash when updating fields with aliases
>>> 16186 Broken Processing/GRASS tools under Windows > this is a
>>> packaging issue and not a Processing one
>>> 15868 Frequent errors in DB Manager: `pyqtSignal must be bound to a
>>> QObject, not 'PGVectorTable'`
>>> 16295 DB Manager: error importing data into GPKG connections
>>> 16296 Cannot use anymore d&d to import a layer from Spatialite in PostGIS
>>> 16297 (macOS) layers imported into a Spatialite Database with DB
>>> manager are not recognized as spatial tables
>>> 15741 PostGIS issue when using 'Merge selected features' tool
>>> (Geometry type does not match column type) > this is very bad as
>>> causes data loss
>>> 15974 Rows of the attribute table seem to be duplicated when saving
>>> edits in a shapefile
> Thanks for the list, Giovanni.
>>> * the platform version is very old (2010), can we try upgrade it? If
>>> someome provides me with a copy of the db I would give it a go on a
>>> testbench
>>> * remove all the projects others than "QGIS Application" from
>>> http://hub.qgis.org/projects <http://hub.qgis.org/projects>
>> it makes sense, but in spipte of our efforts, many plugins still rely on
>> this, and I do not think it's a good move just to shut them down
>
> Do we have a plan for the signup process for redmine?
> I think the decision to stick to redmine was made under the assumption
> that one no longer needs to obtain a shared secret during this process.
>>> * close all tickets that were last updated/commented more than... 2/3/4 years?
>> not sure about this: if they still make sense, I'd prefer to keep them.
>> e.g. the second oldest is still valid, and helps us remembering about a
>> real issue:
>> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/167 <http://hub.qgis.org/issues/167>
>> I understand keeping the list short is a major advantage, but removing
>> issues like this is not an advantage for the project IMHO.
> What about all that have been in "feedback" state for more than 1 year?
> That should filter out issues like 167.
>
> Matthias
>>
>> All the best.

—