[Qgis-developer] Bridging Matrix QGIS channel to IRC

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Mar 31 03:20:02 PDT 2017

I was happy to find a Matrix room for QGIS (#qgis:matrix.org)
which is bridged to the Gitter chat room and wondering why such
Matrix room isn't also bridged to the IRC channel on Freenode
(irc://irc.freenode.net/#qgis). Was it a choice or was it just
not done yet ?

As I've done Matrix rooms plumbing for a few channels this morning
(#osgeo:matrix.org, #osgeo-sac:matrix.org, #postgis:matrix.org,
#geos:matrix.org) I've understood it takes a Matrix room admin
and an IRC operator to complete the bridging. For QGIS these
are Tim on the matrix side and Jurgen on the IRC side. Also,
it takes a real-time synchronization because the request for
authorization expires in 3 minutes or so, which might be the
reason why the bridging was not completed yet.

So this mail is to request bridging of IRC to matrix (which would
automatically also mean bridging IRC and Gitter) and to suggest
granting privileges to more people from the QGIS community to
both the Freenode and Matrix channels, which would help doing
these kind of things.

Consider me available for help on both networks (strk on freenode;
@strk:matrix.org on matrix), or find me on IRC if you need help
with the bridge completion.

May the QGIS chat community be merged again ! :)

--strk;