[QGIS-Developer] sharing processing models/scripts

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun May 14 15:35:08 PDT 2017

There are multiple ways to to publish and advertise a collection of
processing scripts and models:

1) as a 'Resource': https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Resources
2) as an official downloadable script/model:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Processing
3) as a processing script collection plugin:
http://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/pyqgis_developer_cookbook/processing.html#id2
4) manual downloading and adding:
https://github.com/andreasplesch/QGIS-X3D-Processing

There advantages and drawbacks for each:

1) less well known since it requires installation of the Resource Sharing
plugin. Does not support processing models. Potential to be in core.
Potentially easy to add another collection.
2) no obvious policy for acceptance into repo. Some PRs are not accepted.
Lack of substructure, just one large pool. Direct access from Toolbox.
Supports models.
3) does not support models. Plugins are well understood extension mechanism
by users. Built in infrastructure (updates, web site)
4) Inconvenient for users. Hard to discover. Full control. Transparent.

The lack of model support in some options can be worked around by
converting models into scripts.

4) will be available in most cases anyways if developers use a public site.

I think my preference is 3), eg. packaging as Plugin.

What are other considerations ? Practical experience or preference ?

Any feedback or comment much appreciated,

Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.