[QGIS-Developer] Slow QGIS performance with Oracle datasets

Niels Kjær nikja at sdfe.dk
Wed May 17 05:13:34 PDT 2017

Hi,

Using QGIS we find that retrieving, rendering and querying/filtering (spatial vector)data from our Oracle databases takes a lot longer than using PostGIS databases.

Our DBAs have investigated the matter and finds the performance to be 10-50 times slower in some cases.

Using for example Geomedia as GIS application does not show the same issues, and so the Oracle database is most likely not the bottleneck (we have also tested performance directly on the Oracle database, and both Oracle and PostGIS servers are on the same network, with Oracle on faster hardware).

We believe this could be down to the implementation of how QGIS handles Oracle connections.

If this is indeed the case, and an improvement is more of a feature request than an actual bug, we would be happy to discuss sponsoring the development in some way.

We are using Oracle 12C, PostGIS 2.3 on Postgresql 9.5/9.6 and QGIS 2.18.x

Any other input or questions on the matter are of course welcome :)

Kind regards

Niels Kjær
IT-architect
nikja at sdfe.dk<mailto:nikja at sdfe.dk>