[QGIS-Developer] Python 3 compatibility

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Wed May 24 07:52:18 PDT 2017

On my linux system (gentoo) QGis 2.18 is using the system python which is
set to Python 3 whereas on my windows system QGis 2.18 is using the bundled
Python 2.

This lead to me to start to look for which Python is used in processing
scripts leading to lines such as:

http_server = ('SimpleHTTPServer', 'http.server')[sys.version_info.major ==
2]

With QGis 3 using Python 3 (I believe), there be will be a desire to write
scripts and plugins which are compatible with both Python 2 and Python 3.

Is there a recommendation of how to accomplish this compatibility ?

Or is the general recommendation to have and maintain separate programs for
each version ? I suspect the answer is yes here but perhaps there are other
approaches.

Any insight or comment much appreciated,

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
39 Barbara Rd.