[QGIS-Developer] Generic use of QgsLocator and friends?

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Oct 11 23:43:12 PDT 2017

Hi

> On 12 Oct 2017, at 07:42, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> # QUESTION: should we create base (geocoder)classes for the
>> GeocoderLocator and GeocoderFilter (in cpp or python):
>> - I created a baseclass for my 2 geocoders, thinking it would be
>> helpfull to have something like 'mapToResult', but after some initial
>> tests I think it is maybe only usefull to define some scale presets
>> (like in current version of this plugin)
>> - these baseclasses could be python or cpp...
>
> I'd say not yet. I think in future we'll need these, but at the moment
> I don't believe we know enough about what we require from such a base
> class. I'd rather we let things "settle" and then see what the common
> functionality is across the various geocoder implementations.

Also a reminder of the work that Septima did in QGIS 2 which they were thinking of building a standardised approach for geocoding (see the section under ’search’ here http://blog.qgis.org/2017/08/15/report-back-on-the-3rd-qgis-conference-in-nodebo-denmark/). And there is also work from Lutra and others so it would be good to maybe pull in the different interested parties and compare notes…

Regards

Tim

—

Tim Sutton