[QGIS-Developer] OsmAnd obf data + styling ?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sun Oct 15 23:44:56 PDT 2017

On 14-10-17 23:44, Stefan Keller wrote:
>> As OsmAnd (for Android and Iphone) [0][1] is getting better and better,
>> I wonder if we/QGIS can (re)use/handle their data source and styling.
>
> According to [1] the 'obf' file has a complex structure and consists
> of 4 multiple parts:
> (vector) map tiles, transport (routing), POI, adresses.
> The OsmAnd styling seems to come with the Java binaries.
>
> What is your use case to read such a specialized format into QGIS?
>
> It's using OSM data, so why not taking the data directly from OSM e.g.
> using HOT Export [2] or OSMaxx tools [3]?

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply! Will try both export tools and the plugin again...

My 'use case' is just the fact that I'm impressed with the speed and
ease of use of OsmAnd, and I like the ability to share OFFLINE data
(formats) and styles. But IF as you say the styling is in Java binaries,
it is indeed better to just use one of the export tools.

My aims is just to make it easier to have for example a local reference
map for offline users. The ability to do routing on it was also a nice
feature of their format...

Are you aware of a nice (QGIS) styling for that data model then?
(lines, multipolygons, planet_osm_lines/_points/_polygons, points)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde