[QGIS-Developer] Handling "complex" geometries

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Oct 16 23:46:07 PDT 2017

Hi Loïc,

As a cartographer and QGIS user I'd love to see spline or nurbs support
in QGIS. But from a developer point of view (and data format point of
view) it probably opens a can of worms. I do hope that we can get there
eventually.

As you have discovered, besides GML3 and DXF/DWG and ESRI FGDB no other
format seems to support spline/nurbs.

We would have to enhance Postgis as well to handle them - and the
geometry libraries (or we segment them as we do with circular arcs) as
an intermediate step.

I am sure that other devs (e.g. Marco Hugentobler, Nyall, Martin and
others) would have more thoughts on that topic. And maybe Even could
comment from a OGR point of view - what would have to be done to support
splines/nurbs.

Good to see discussion starting on that topic!

Andreas