[QGIS-Developer] QgsPluginLayer in QGIS3

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 03:29:41 PDT 2017

Hi Giovanni

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 11:53 AM, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm analyzing QuickMapService to see how much work it would need toport it
> to QGIS 3 (it would a big loss not having it!).
>
> The first thing I see is that QgsPluginLayer doesn't offer the draw() method
> anymore. i guess the only way to substitute it is defining a custom
> QgsMapLayerRenderer and implementing its render() method. Can you confirm
> this is the only way to do the actual rendering?

Yes that's correct. It is not a big change though - the drawing code
just moves to a new renderer class.

By the way, the support for XYZ/TMS tile layers within WMS provider
(since 2.18) should already cover requirements for most of the data
sources, so the need for a custom plugin layer in QMS is there just
for layers using a CRS / tiling different from standard Web Mercator.
The more recent versions of QMS already use the standard raster layer
for many sources instead of the plugin layer:
https://github.com/nextgis/quickmapservices/issues/110

Cheers
Martin