[QGIS-Developer] Settings migration from QGIS 2 to 3

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 06:57:52 PDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Borys Jurgiel <lists at borysjurgiel.pl>
wrote:

> By the way, do we have a standard for the section naming? Now I don't mean
> the
> enumeration, just other top-level sections, like [PluginInstaller]. Should
> drop the camel case?
>
> Sorry for such detailed question, sometimes I'm too pedantic ;)

On the contrary: thank you for  raising this point!

This is what I suggest (but no strong opinions so feel free to suggest a
better/alternative approach):

ideally the main Sections should be kept to minimum, that's why I added
just a few of them, we can always create all the sub-sections we want
instead of overcrowding the sections enum.

For anything related to application that is not purely Gui, I would just
use the "App" section.

> Regards,
> Borys
>
> Dnia poniedziałek, 30 października 2017 14:08:01 Borys Jurgiel pisze:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was updating and migrating plugin installer's settings when Alessandro
> > suggested to create a new QgsSettings::Section::Windows enum value for
> all
> > the window geometries, currently placed in the [Windows] section
> > (capitalized) [1]
> >
> > There are over 100 keys there, are we going to migrate them all from
> Windows
> > to windows, like we did with Qgis -> qgis?

Here, I would follow the Qt recommendations about naming of the setting:
the bottom line is that you cannot rely on capitalization because of
differences in the platforms, even if by using the "ini" file like we are
doing now after Nathan's profile implementation will probably overcome this
issue (reason: The Windows registry and INI files use case-insensitive
keys).

So, I'd vote for sticking to an all-lowercase underscore-separated syntax
but as I said there is not anymore a technical reason for doing so.

see: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qsettings.html#section-and-key-syntax

> > If so, I'll create the new enum value and port a few keys there, but I
> don't
> > want to mess if other keys are going to stay in the capitalized
> [Windows].
> >
> > Regards,
> > Borys
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/5494#discussion_r147628437