[QGIS-Developer] Reword "Trusted Plugin" --> "Trusted Plugin Author"?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 01:42:14 PDT 2017

Sorry if I repeat myself, this is just to clarify what the "trusted" flag
is, and why it was introduced.

The trusted flag has nothing to do with being a core dev or having
CI/tests: it's a permission flag in the DB, tied to the user who "owns" the
plugin (the maintainer).

When a new plugin is submitted, Paolo (please correct me if I'm wrong)
checks the plugin for mandatory metadata and he makes a quick/superficial
evaluation, if the plugin does not look particularly suspicious or misses
some mandatory metadata he approves it straight away.

But the a.m. procedure is pointless and can be totally avoided if the
plugin comes from a well known member of this community when there is
"trust" because of proven record of good plugins or code contributions or
personal knowledge, beers together in the greenhouses at night etc. etc..

So this is all what the "trusted" flag is about: skipping the boring and
time/consuming procedure of approving plugins for the well-known members of
this community (and the delay that it causes) .

Let me say it again:the only difference between a "trusted" user/author is
that he can approve and publish the plugins by himself.

The problem started when we decided to advertise the "trusted" flag on the
plugin manager, I see two options here:

plugin manager
2. reword/rephrase
3. add some other flags at the DB level (feel free to make PRs)

I would go for 2. but please keep the new sentence in sync with the real
meaning of the "trusted" flag: I believe that all core developers should be
"trusted" (just ask Paolo or any other admin and it's just a click) but I
would not restrict the "trust" to core devs: there are many other members
of this community that I'd give trust even if they are not core devs.

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it