[QGIS-Developer] removing icons

Donn Downey donn at forestmetrix.com
Wed Sep 20 06:24:38 PDT 2017

Hello, I develop database solutions for a niche industry that also has significant GIS needs. I personally use QGIS and help others get going, but even QGIS can be tough to teach to non-savvy computer users. As such, I dream of a version of QGIS where we basically strip out 90% of the icons from the half dozen relevant toolbars, in order to further simplify the interface and make the necessary tasks more accessible.  I have no programming experience- we would hire someone to do this- I’m just trying to figure out options. Ultimately, we’d like to (freely) share a special stripped down version of QGIS.

First, is it technically possible to hide or remove icons from toolbars, or develop a toolbar that is specific to our industry-specific purpose? Along these lines, are there developers on this list that contract to do work like this?

I apologize if this isn’t an appropriate forum to post this topic- I’m new to this. Please let me know. Thanks!