[QGIS-Developer] Improving the automatic issue report creation in doc repo

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 01:22:55 PDT 2018

Hi Harrissou,

sorry for the delay of the answer.

> When a [Feature] or a [needs-docs] commit/PR is merged in QGIS repo, it
> generates an issue report in QGIS-Documentation repo. This automatic
> process which saves times for every body has some issues (actually, could
> need some improvements) I'd like to raise here:
>
> 1/ Sometimes (to avoid writing "too often"), the description of the created
> issue report is "Unfortunately this naughty coder did not write a
> description... :-(" Funny but other than the commit title (which can help),
> you need most of the times to track the original PR and read pull request
> description/discussion to figure out what it's really about. And most of
> the times the main information is in the PR first message.
> So, feature request: could the PR first message be added to the issue
> report (with its screenshots, screencasts...)? I think this will reduce the
> endless back and forths for those willing to tackle the documentation
> issues. And meanwhile, if the tagged commit message in QGIS repo could be
> more than a title, it'll also be very helpful. Thanks!

yes yes please! Continuing going back and forth to find the description
of the new feature is not a lot of work, but still annoying. I don't
know how much effort would it take to enhance this procedure. . at Richard?

> 2/ creation of duplicate reports: afaics, this occurs when the pull request
> title contains the tag and in its commits, there's only one that has the
> same tags; we get an issue report for the commit and another one for the PR
> (eg. https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/6627/commits generates
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/2458 and
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/2457).
> If there are more than one [feature]/[needs-docs] tagged commit in the PR,
> we only get a report by tagged commit and that's nice... but i did not
> investigate a lot in this area.

I think this is more related more to the single developer isn't it? I
mean by opening a PR with [Feature] in the title that contains single
commits with other [Feature] string in the title.. I don't know if this
could be achieved easily by web hooks

Thanks for raising this

Cheers

Matteo