[QGIS-Developer] issues with 1:n relations

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:23:11 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I have recently had to test some scenario with 1:n relations in QGIS and I
have found a few issues and would like to know if someone has them in its
pipeline/todo list, eventually to share the effort for the fixes.

Anyway I'm also interested on your feedback on the matter.

1) 1:n relations in QGIS3. They seems unusable at the moment. When opening
a parent layer feature form, the area/space where the child records should
show does not show/cannot be expanded.

2) 1:n relations in QGIS 2.18.

I have tried a scenario (that to me seems not unusual at all) where both
the parent and the child are layers/tables with a geometry.

The case where the child has its own geometries does not seems well
implemented (if implemented at all) in the context of the relation feature
form and this causes the following:

a) from within the parent feature form, if I edit the child and try add a
new record there is no tool to allow also add/digitize the proper geometry.
The user can still enter only the attributes and when saving I have seen
two things happen *) In a test project using GPKGs this led effectively to
a record orphaned of its geometry *) In a test project using PostGIS layers
the edits are *silently* discarded, no warning, no error, not even in QGIS
logs.

b) from within the parent feature form, when toggling editing for the
child, this is effectively put it in edit state also in the layers panel.
So a user can "move away" the parent feature form (that it is on first
plane) and use the standard editing tools to add a geometry to the child
layer. When finished the attributes form pop-up and can be used to fill the
data, with the important issue/limitation that the "referencing field" is
*not* automatically filled as it is done when working within the relation
form. Once saved the new record will also show in the relation form. This
seems a partial workaround because as said the referencing field is not
automatically filled.

Am I missing something?

thanks in advance for your feedback.

cheers