[QGIS-Developer] R provider for QGIS 3 - any interest?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Apr 26 05:10:09 PDT 2018

As a long-time R spatial developer and QGIS user I'll be glad to help out -
but time-poor at work for now. "Helping out" may be more  like "making
unreasonable suggestions" and "finding annoying bugs".

For example, can we find a more efficient way to transfer data from QGIS to
R? Can the new `sf` packages in R work with the data straight out of QGIS'
memory? I *think* the `sf` package stores vector data in GDALs native C++
objects, and if QGIS is doing that too then we *might* be able to get
access from QGIS and R if we write the R plugin as a C/C++ module that
dynamically links with the shareable libR.so.

The current R processing plugin  converts QGIS layers to shapefiles, reads
them into a new R process. On occasion I've hit problems with shapefile
limitations (field name length, usually) that make my scripts fail. Maybe
it should go via geopackage instead.

Should it create `sp` objects on the R side or `sf` objects? This could be
controllable in the R processing script headers, so it can be set on a
per-script basis.

I'll stop now...

Barry