[QGIS-Developer] Preparing for the next LTR

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Apr 30 23:59:02 PDT 2018

Dear QGIS users and developers,

As you know, QGIS 3 has recently been published. This version introduced
big changes in the code structure that, in addition to the new
functionalities already exposed, makes our code base more modern and
easier to expand and improve on in the future.

As a normal by-product of such a huge overhaul, these changes also
triggered a series of new issues, that you, our users are helping to
discover and document. Our objective is to eliminate the most important
of these issues in time for what will be our next Long Term Release
(LTR) - version 3.4. This release is scheduled for October 2018[0]. The
resources available from QGIS.ORG funds are limited, and we have already
invested in QGIS 3.0 far more than we have done for any previous version.

Now is those a great time for users, and particularly for power users,
larger institutions and enterprises, to invest in QGIS bugfixing. You
have a number of different options: donating your developers' time or
hiring a developer directly to resolve the bugs that annoy you most,
sponsoring our foundation[2], or donating[3] to QGIS.ORG.

Our targets are:

* 20k€ within 2018-05-18 (for 3.2)
* 40k€ within 2018-09-14 (for 3.4)

If you would like to help, feel free to contact us for further details!
---
[0]https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/roadmap.html#release-schedule
[1]https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/sponsorship/sponsorship.html#qgis-sponsorship-program
[2]https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/sponsorship/sponsorship.html#qgis-sponsorship-program