[QGIS-Developer] How to structure GitHub repository for different plugin versions

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Aug 24 02:11:38 PDT 2018

On 08/24/2018 10:57 AM, Sophie Crommelinck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to upload a QGIS3 version of a plugin that is now available
> as QGIS2 version. Is there a general approach on how to structure the
> plugin repository on GitHub accordingly? One idea would be to have two
> folders e.g. 'QGIS2' and 'QGIS3' in the main plugin repository. Paolo
> suggested there might be a general code of conduct on this one.

Hi Sophie,

not sure what the 'best' way is, but what I did when I created a new
version of the pdokservicesplugin, is to create a separate  git branch
for the qgis2 version, and I keep the master branch for qgis3, see

https://github.com/rduivenvoorde/pdokservicesplugin/tree/qgis2branch
vs
https://github.com/rduivenvoorde/pdokservicesplugin/tree/master

I made QGIS3 'master' because the qgis2 branch will get unused in near
future.

I checked out both branches in different folders on my dev laptop, so
can code/commit independently from each other.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde