[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 2.18 EOL approaching?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 14:23:25 PST 2018

Hi lists,

While updating the QGIS milestones on github today, I realised that
our final 2.18 release is fast approaching! This raised two questions:

1. Is it still the case that 2.18.28, to be released on 18th Jan, is
indeed the final ever 2.x release? (Or has there been discussion to
extend this?)

2. If so, I think we should do some publicity around this (e.g. a blog
post and social media push). I think it's a good time to promote a
message like "the final QGIS 2.x release is coming soon -- this is
your FINAL CHANCE to get fixes into the remaining official QGIS 2
release. blah blah blah talk to your QGIS support provider or engage
one of the commercial support providers listed on our website to
discuss your requirements... blah blah blah .... If you still have
QGIS 2.x scripts or plugins which need porting, you can also engage
one of the commercial support providers to assist with a port to the
new 3.4 LTR release. blah blah blah... The QGIS 2.18 LTR release saw
over 24 months of patch releases, with 100s of bug fixes. This was
made possible thanks to the QGIS project sponsors. Without these
organisations the LTR release would not be possible. If you rely on
QGIS in a commercial setting, we strongly encourage you to become a
QGIS project sponsor too so that we can continue to create quality LTR
releases which are supported for extended periods."

Thoughts?
Nyall