[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] QGIS 2.18 EOL approaching?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 14:06:03 PST 2018

On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 at 18:42, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> thanks for raising this important point. IMHO we cannot really dismiss
> 2.18 until qgis server 3 is ready for production. I understand we are
> very close, I'd urge server people to update us on the current situation
> and needs. If this is feasible, I'd be in favour of doing a last effort
> (through dedicated crowdfunding or with internal qgis resources, if
> available) to get 3 ready and dismiss 2.18 as planned.
> From another standpoint, we still have 102 Q3 regressions:
> https://issues.qgis.org/projects/qgis/issues?query_id=27
> From a quick scroll, I suspect at least some of them are not
> particularly relevant, but a thorough analysis is needed.
> I'm not sure whether it will be acceptable for our users to release an
> LTR with these regression, but this could be a way of putting pressure
> on donors to help us fix them.

The other thing to keep in mind is that 2.18 being EOLed doesn't
equate to disabling it. Any existing setup will continue to work as it
has with 2.18.28 -- it just means there'll be no more officially
supported releases or bug fixes. But tagging it EOL and moving on
won't immediately break any existing installs overnight :)

Nyall